Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Hummer Survives

Cars seem to be the theme du jour here at LITGM.

I drive a machine that very closely resembles the vehicle below, less the Calvin Klein door, of course.
I was very happy to hear today that GM found a buyer for the Hummer line. It was almost a certainty that the bankruptcy court would have killed Hummer. The article says that the buyer, still unnamed, will contract with GM for a year or two to continue making the vehicles.

I just cannot say how happy I am with my Hummer H3. I have had it for coming up on four years now, and have had zero major problems with it, and all I do is change the oil semi-regularly and rotate the tires. The H3 rides very nicely (and is super fun to stomp around on my new land), and gets decent mileage for a vehicle of this size. The secret is the five cylinder engine. No, you won't be winning any drag races with it, nor towing giant yachts with it, but I do neither of these - so for me it works just fine. This car is unstoppable in the snow, and has a super tight turning radius, making it much more maneuverable than it looks.

I have heard that there is a hybrid H3 in the works - we will see if that is affordable and how that would impact my home electricity bill before picking up on one of those.

The Hummer line is one of the very few things that GM did right in the last several years, and I am happy to see that someone else recognized that and will continue making my beloved H3 models. Even if it is a Chinese company that purchased the rights to Hummer, who really cares anymore. It will more than likely be made here in the States, and the big 3 are toast.

3 comments:

Gerry from Valpo said...

Reminds me of my old Jeep Cherokee. Same color too.

Mark said...

You're not the only one who noticed the similarity:
http://hummerforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-9796.html
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-122421919.html

Sk8 said...

Bet you they outlaw the importation if it is manufactured overseas...